Sunday, February 6, 2011

Morning Run


Running always clears my head and lightens my mood. Why don't I do it more? New goal - if it's a nice day, go for a run. I won't regret it.

This morning on my run in the park, I was listening to a depressing song by The National called "About Today". The lyrics go:

"Today you were far away
and I didn't ask you why
What could I say
I was far away
You just walked away
and I just watched you
What could I say"

I can't help but love depressing music. I think it's the past feeling of loss it stirs inside - knowing that life goes on, and ultimately, life is good. As I was listening to the song, I passed a father playing soccer with his son. I thought about the struggle for democracy in Egypt and Tunisia..and how life is good when you can go to the park and play soccer with your son.

It made me feel so content, running in the park with the sun shining, seeing people out enjoying life and nature. That's how we're meant to spend Sunday afternoons...not sitting in front of the TV indoors watching reruns of The Sopranos. That's not life...that's distraction.

I ran past a man in the park sweeping leaves. He didn't look particularly happy or unhappy. I gave him a smile as I passed and he flashed one back. A smile that could sell peanut butter.

No comments: